Monday, February 22, 2016

1.5" lift of my Eurovan

My Eurovan was loaded up pretty heavy on my 2015 trip to Burning Man from San Diego.  It was evident that with the already low clearance and the upgrade 16" wheels and larger tires that it was riding quite close to the wheel well in the rear.

A lot of Eurovan owners, GoWesty, and Cole Ford from CaveVan have all mentioned or installed a lift.  I decided it was time.

First, you need the spacers for the rear (the front is simply adjusted with a special socket to adjust the front torsion bars).  The rear spacers can be purchased from CaveVan or GoWesty.  I got mine from CaveVan because Cole Ford has been very helpful in the Eurovan groups over the years.  The spacers are essentially a high grade, dense plastic ring that go in between the body and the spring.

It is obvious that the spacers go on the top of the spring.  There are a couple of ways to do the installation (leave wheel/tire on or take it off), and I used both because I didn't realize that the spacers need to go on top of the existing OEM rubber spacer.  So I did the process twice.

For installation, the first step is to remove the bolt on the underside of the shock.


Next you need to jack the Eurovan up to the point that the wheel comes off the ground.  (or if you took the wheel off, then ensure the suspension arm is at its bottom most point)


See now that the suspension arm is down that the spring can be removed with a little pulling.


Next, remove the top OEM rubber pad/spacer (notice the keyed area for the spring to sit in).  Then insert your lift spacers above (mine are white, shown in photo).  Also note that the bottom spring pad has  keyed area for the spring to sit in.  Be sure to line those areas up so the spring sits properly (top and bottom).


Start lowering jack (wheel should be back on if you removed it... or I guess you could jack the suspension arm up, but I probably wouldn't do it that way).  Ensure that the shock slips into the correct location.  Then put shock bolt/bushing/washer back on and tighten.  You're done.  After doing it twice, I could probably do it again in 15 minutes total.



I have not received my special socket (27mm and very deep) to finish adjustment of the front torsion bars.  But, ultimately, I will bring the Eurovan level and closely monitor alignment and the CV axles/joints for any vibration caused by the angle change.

10 comments:

  1. Awesome post! Just ordered some 1.5" spacers from CaveVan and will check back in with how the installation goes. Please give us an update once you get the extend-o socket from GoWesty! I'm about to order mine now. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Wes. Yes, the socket was easy to use. Be sure that the van is jacked up before trying to adjust. A friend borrowed my socked and did it while the van was down... he was cranking hard and screwed something up.
    As far as ratio, it is almost 1 to 1... in terms of how much the change in bolt relates to vehicle raising/lowering. I counted threads before and after to keep as close as possible... but I think I may get an alignment too... I did notice a bit of pulling.
    As some people have eluded to, the CV axle angle does change. I noticed some clicking after probably over raising the front. In addition, my boot was torn on the driver's side. I had already called a place to get a labor price to replace/install. I was considering whether or not to do it myself. Then I took a camping trip and drove down a long dirt and gravel road, and I assume that some debris got into the boot.
    Well, on the way out, the CV axle (likely joint, but I haven't seen it removed yet) broke rendering my van stuck.
    So, my recommendation is to closely monitor any noise and be careful. At this point, I've got the shop about to replace the broken CV and do a drive test to make sure nothing else got screwed up (hopefully no tranny issues). If all good, then going to do the other CV and front brakes while they are in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just fyi, my van has 210k+ miles. I've had it since about 180k miles. The CV had never been replaced since I owned, and I did not see anything in the previous owners' records (pretty good records on this van). Not sure how long the boot tear was there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi John. Sorry about the slow reply! Thanks for the info, that's all really good to know. I'm going to attempt an install tomorrow. From what I've gathered, it's easiest to adjust the torsion bars unloaded (i.e. wheels off the ground), but this risks unseating the T-shaped adjuster bolt. Therefore, safest and easiest to unload the torsion bars to the point that the wheels are almost lifting off the ground, but there's still enough weight to prevent the adjuster bolt from falling out of its saddle. That's good info on the 1:1 ratio. I read on a forum post (not EV_update--it didn't look particularly reliable) that a 10mm adjustment made a 1" difference at the wheel. Given the length of the adjuster bolt, that number seemed unlikely. I'll post back here and let you know how the install goes! Fingers crossed no CV issues...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi John: I did the full install, and posted a couple pictures on ev_update in the photos section (check it out when you get a minute!). My CV joints/shafts all feel and sound good for now (fingers crossed). However, I'm getting a disconcerting clunk from the rear passenger suspension area. I'm thinking it could be a control arm bushing? Odd that it started not after the lift was put in (maybe 200km later), but immediately after the new bigger wheels/tires went on (maybe 20km after). I e-mailed Cole to ask if he has any ideas. As usual, my post on ev_update isn't showing up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a Eurovan, lifted by previous owner. It chews through front axles ever 2000km.. If your doing the lift, you need the upgraded axles, (heavy Duty), but they are another $1400..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would be great if you can provide more information... do you have any photos? also a part number for the heavy duty axles would be helpful.

      Delete
  7. Hey All!

    I just got done installing a lift kit on my '93 Eurovan and I'm super stoked on the results. I was reading this post for some instructions on how to do some of the install steps and it was super helpful. I noticed that a couple of you (John & Wes) mentioned the ev_update yahoo group for pictures and other EV tips on other modifications. I've been trying to gain access to this group for a while now and have send the moderator multiple emails asking to join so I could get access to all this info! Is there any way one of you might be able to help me out with access to the group? Or offer any sort of insight to this? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete